Tummy Tuck in New Jersey
As with most cosmetic surgical procedures, the goal of the abdominoplasty is to create a more youthful and attractive physical appearance. In this case, we want to eradicate excess fat and skin while tightening abdominal muscles in order to give your stomach the fit and appealing look that you desire. With Dr. Racanelli, you will achieve the aesthetic appearance you want in a safe and effective manner.
Why Abdominoplasty Might be Right for You
There are various reasons that bring a necessity for a tummy tuck into your life’s equation. Here are 5 reasons why a tummy tuck can be a great option for you:
1. Post-partum recovery. The miracle of childbirth can take a toll on the body, particularly in the abdominal region. Stretch marks will often occur due to both the muscle and skin being stretched significantly during pregnancy. These marks can be significant and severely detract from a woman’s overall appearance.
Additionally, scars from Caesarean sections can be unsightly and discomforting for any woman. Both these and the aforementioned stretch marks brought on by natural childbirth can be solved through the tummy tuck. The procedure tightens the area and at the very least can vastly improve the overall appearance of the stomach.
2. Post weight loss. There is only so much that dieting and exercise can do in weight loss situations. While fat can be burned and muscle can be toned, excess skin is not targeted by a strict dietary and exercise regimen. Abdominoplasty tightens the area between the ribcage and pubic bone, otherwise known as the inner girdle, to restructure the abdominal walls. This changes the unfortunate circumstances of loose and flabby skin to a new reality of a flat, smooth stomach.
3. Old Scars. Besides childbirth, there are other surgical procedures, or even unfortunate accidents or events that can lead to scarring in the stomach area. Appendectomies, hernias, or stomach stapling could all be the cause of unattractive markings in this area. Tummy tucks smooth and revive the skin to present as unblemished of an appearance as possible.
4. Self-Consciousness and Self-Image. These two self-related ideas go hand in hand. No one wants to feel inadequate or self-conscious when putting on swimwear or midriff-bearing clothing, nor do they want to have to avoid such outfits because they feel as though they are incapable of wearing that type of clothing. Abdominoplasty helps recover your confidence so you can feel great and not have any reservations when putting together your summer outfits.
5. Cosmetic. Often times there doesn’t need to be any psychological or circumstantial reasoning other than the fact that we all want to look our best. We have one body after all, so the desire to maximize the appearance of that body is perfectly natural. A tummy tuck is a simple way to achieve a flat, beautiful stomach, and there is nothing wrong with taking that step to improving the look of your body in that way.
The Surgical Procedure
To reiterate what you will be undertaking if you agree to the tummy tuck, or abdominoplasty, the process a cosmetic surgical procedure that takes the excess skin and fat and removes it from the lower and middle abdomen to produce a thinner and more firm abdomen. This process tightens the muscle and fascia of the abdominal wall. The fascia is the band of connective tissue beneath the skin that separates and encloses muscles and internal organs. It is made up mainly of collagen.
The patient is placed under general anesthesia for the entirety of the surgery, which can last from 2 to 5 hours depending on the severity of the procedure. If you’ve just lost a significant amount of weight and have extreme excesses of skin it will obviously take longer than someone taking that final step to rid themselves of the last bit of excess.
An incision is made along what is referenced as the bikini line from one hipbone to the other. A separate incision will be made to free the belly button. The skin is then lifted off of the abdominal muscles from the incision to the ribs. When the abdominal skin is lifted, the underlying abdominal muscles are repaired.
The upper abdominal skin is then pulled down and tightened. As a visual, imagine a window shade being drawn down and going from bunched together to flattened and smoothened. The excess skin is then sutured together.
Partial (Mini) Abdominoplasty
A partial or mini tummy tuck is done essentially in the same fashion as a complete abdominoplasty, but on a smaller scale. A smaller incision is made, and the fat and skin is detached in a less prominent manner from the fascia. As with the complete tummy tuck, the skin is stretched down and excess skin is removed.
The Dr. Racanelli Difference
For both methods, Dr. Racanelli includes in his New Jersey tummy tuck practice a liposuction of the flanks (love handles). Each patient receives this liposuction as a part of the overall abdominoplasty at no additional charge whatsoever. The reason for this is that abdominoplasty alone does not necessarily take care of the excess fat located in the flanks, or love handles, of the body. Liposuction in these areas will remove this excess fat and contribute towards contouring your torso and waist to a more desirable shape.
Additionally, when partaking in abdominoplasty in New Jersey with Dr. Racanelli, you have the further benefit of his advanced technique of multi-layer plication. The plication, a term that refers to the folding that occurs during a tummy tuck, has historically been done with one layer of the muscles and fascia. However, with Dr. Racanelli’s New Jersey tummy tuck, the folding and tightening of the muscles and fascia occur in multiple layers. This more detailed method leads to significantly better results for long term success of the abdominoplasty procedure.
Depending on the extent of the surgery as well as whether you’ve had a partial or complete abdominoplasty, you can expect anywhere from 4-8 weeks to recover from the operation. There generally are a few stages that come with the recovery.
The first few weeks you will be on medication for pain and soreness. This is normal and can be expected with any major surgery. After a week or two you should be able to stand straight and walk normally, and can usually begin driving after two weeks. Other activity such as exercise will most likely need to wait until 4-6 weeks. After 6-8 weeks you should be able to get back to most activities, excluding perhaps extremely strenuous exercise that puts major focus on your still sensitive stomach.
Remember, all of these time frames are estimates and generalities. It is important to be in communication with your doctor and to pay attention to your body to figure out when it is ok to take the next step during your recovery. Dr. Racanelli also provides a compression garment to help with pain, swelling, and general comfort during the healing process.
Finally, remember that this is a major surgery that has transformed a part of your body. Even after several months there may be a new movement, stretch, or activity in general that causes a slight bit of discomfort. This is natural, as your stomach is not used to performing all of the same activities and functions as before in its present state. Anything persistent, however, can be discussed with your doctor.
Taking the Next Step
If you are interested in a New Jersey tummy tuck, the first step is to schedule a consultation. During this time Dr. Racanelli can enlighten you on any further questions you may have on the specifics of the procedure, cost, or recovery time. More importantly, he can assist in alleviating any fears or concerns that you may have regarding the surgical risks involved in an abdominoplasty so that you can feel completely comfortable and at ease with your choice to partake in the surgery.
Dr. Racanelli is a New Jersey Magazine Top Doctor and a renowned plastic surgeon, so you can expect the results that you desire for your New Jersey abdominoplasty. Whether you have not seen the desired results from diet and exercise, have recently given birth and want to get back to your former flat stomach, or simply want to feel more confident with a svelte and toned stomach, Dr. Racanelli can get you the results that you crave.
Call and schedule a consultation at one of our four convenient locations in either New York or New Jersey, and start the process today!
Results for Abdominoplasty, Tummy Tuck
Call one of our four convenient locations in New York, Brooklyn, and New Jersey to schedule a consultation with Dr. Racanelli, a New Jersey Magazine Top Doctor and renowned plastic surgeon. Those who have not seen their desired results from diet and exercise will find that an Abdominoplasty / Tummy Tuck is exactly what they need to bring their physical appearance to the next level.